Thursday 11 March 2010

Memento Mori



Memento Mori is a Latin phrase translated as 'Remember You Must Die' or a 'Remembrance of Death', this name is given to numerous genres and arts that all share the same purpose of reminding humans of their own mortality and the punishments recieved if religious commandments are not obeyed.
Even though my concept is primarily based on gothic romantism and the Edgar Allan Poe fables this traditional phrase and the creations that follow it does relate to my initial research, the Poe stories in particular deal with issues of death, mortality and concience, however I didn't even connect these two together it was fellow fashion student Anne that saw the relation between my work and Memento Mori after looking at my blog (in particular the images of skulls, candles and the raven). This opened up a whole new area for me to reference for part of my file and when I went back through some of the images I originally collected in the early stages of my research I then realised that some were even based on Memento Mori so a BIG Thanks to Anne for spotting something I would of never seen myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment